Waddell’s IGA started in 1946 by two brothers returning from WWII, Earl and Gene Waddell. They bought a small store front on State Road 26 and later bought the store next door to expand their business and offer more to their customers. Earl and Gene, along with their wives Helen and Betty, built a business on quality and customer service. When their children came along, they developed the same work ethic from working along side their parents. Earl’s sons Larry and Randy, and Gene’s children, Phil and Diana, all worked in the store when they were growing up.
Earl’s son, Larry, established a grocery business in the nearby community of Burlington in 1962. Larry and his wife, Janice, served the Burlington area for 30 years, building a great reputation for quality products and great customer service.
The Palm Sunday Tornados of 1965 destroyed Earl and Gene’s building and much of the town of Russiaville. The Waddell brothers along with other business men in the town pulled together and rebuilt their businesses and homes, as well as making many infrastructure improvements to the community of Russiaville. The strip mall in which the store resides today was built after the tornado and originally housed a drug store, grocery store, restaurant, and hardware and appliance store.
Earl’s youngest son, Randy, purchased the drug store and eventually bought the grocery store when his Dad and Uncle retired. Randy removed the wall between the stores and did a significant remodel in 1987 to create a 10,000 square foot grocery business.
Julie Waddell Newlin, Larry’s oldest daughter, and her husband Jon Newlin bought the store from Randy in 2001. Jon and Julie along with their children, Nicholas and Natalie, and all the associates at Waddell’s strive each day to carry on the tradition of Waddell’s IGA. Please stop in and see us, or give us a call and allow us to be of service to you.